College and Career Support
Writing The College Essay
A wonderful book to buy from The Princeton Review: College Essays That Made a Difference, 2nd Edition. The book gives actual essays that have worked, all the "do and don’t" tips from actual college admission representatives and much more!
Another book we recommend is by Harry Bauld entitled On Writing the College Application Essay.
You can also look into Acing the College Application: How to Maximize Your Chances for Admission to the College of Your Choice. By Michele Hernandez.
How To Say It: to Get into the College of Your Choice, by Linda Metcalf.
Here is a great web-site to discuss and generate ideas for your college essay TeenInk Website
A free program operated by the City University of New York’s 17 colleges.
Mapping Your Future
Advice on careers, colleges, financial aid, and more.
Lots of advice including step-by-step action plans for high school students.
Know How To Go
Student-friendly site with practical advice organized by grade, starting in middle school.
CareerZone is a website developed and operated by the New York State Department of Labor. It is a valuable source for career exploration. Career Zone is a great resource which allows you to explore careers related to your strengths, skills, and talents!
Visiting Colleges Guide
It's never too early to take your child to visit colleges. There is an excellent book that we suggest you to buy: The Princeton Review: Guide to College Visits.
- The College Navigator (search for schools based on location, public or private, major: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator
- For the best discussion boards go to www.CollegeConfidential.com
- To view virtual tours of college campuses go to www.CampusTours.com
- To read college students perspective and experiences at their college go to www.unigo.com
- www.ctcl.org (Colleges that Change Lives)